Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Admissions Day


I mentioned Pastor Tibbets last post, and I want to thank him for reminding me that today is Admissions Day for proud Californians. I remember, when I was younger, that banks and a few other public offices were closed. (That's not the case any longer.)

The Golden State has become tarnished of late, and there are numerous problems to be solved (financial solvency, failing schools, a dysfunctional government, immigration issues...), but this is still a beautiful place to live and work.

My younger brother Grant is the only "native" Californian among us (born in Monterey), but this has been my home since the late 60s (San Diego) and again in the mid-70's through 1988 (San Diego, Riverside, Oakland, Berkeley, Long Beach, San Luis Obispo). I came back after a sojourn in Pennsylvania, lived in Ventura, and I am happily ensconced in the San Joaquin Valley (Bakersfield).

Little known fact about California: "While a few Americans might know that shipments of gold from California helped keep the Union solvent during the Civil War, almost no one knows that California had more volunteers per capita in the Union Army than any other state."

So, it's a good thing we joined the Union.

Eureka!

No comments: