Thursday, October 8, 2009

Theirs Not To Reason Why, Theirs But To Do and Die

As mentioned above, I am a "gamer." The simple definition is someone who likes to play games. In my case, it usually boils down to historical and fantasy miniature wargamming (in 25mm). My favorite opponent is my son Dylan (14), as a mater of convenience, and I cannot recall the last time I beat him in a contest! I buy the figures, paint the figures, assemble the landscape, read the rules, then proceed to ride into defeat.


An example is this picture, where my Warq riders (from The Lord of the Rings) attempted to ride over the river, and met an inglorious end. I think I started with six, and as you can see, only two made it across the river. Even those two failed to make it to the front line of the dwarves. Dwarven arrows are deadly!

Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell...

Damn dwarves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine were all Wehrmacht and Rommel's desert corps vs. British commandos and still more British commandos, mainly because I loved their poses the best. Used Airfix figures. The were HO scale. Is Airfix still around? I like HOs.

Melanchthon said...

Awesome! I used Airfix figures when I was a kid. I liked the "Kubelwagen" (which became the "Thing" in a later VW incarnation).

Airfix is still around, as far as I know.

I loved the Desert Rats (British 7th armored division).